U.S. ARMY BERLIN BRIGADE
On this web site you will find information about the Berlin-Brigade, the barracks and compounds, like Clay Headquarter, Andrews Barracks, McNair Baracks, Roosevelt Barracks and Turner Barracks. There are also photos of other installations, Family Housing Areas, Schools, Teufelsberg (Field Station Berlin), Mantenance Division and Transportation Motor Pool.
The Berlin Brigade of the United States Army was a separate brigade based in Berlin; its shoulder sleeve insignia was the U.S. Army Europe patch with Berlin tab.
During the Berlin Wall Crisis of 1961, the Army reorganized the command structure of the forces in Berlin and created the U.S. Army Berlin and created the Berlin Brigade from the units already in the city. The 6th Infantry Regiment, active in Germany since 1950, was reorganized in mid-1958 according to the "pentomic" structure: Each "battle group" consisted of five line (rifle) companies, a combat support company, and a headquarters & headquarters company. The Berlin Brigade had the 2nd and 3rd Battle Groups, 6th Infantry until 1963, when Army force structure abandoned battle groups in favor of brigades and subordinate battalions.
The reorganized brigade consisted of the following units:
- 2nd Battalion, 6th Infantry
- 3d Battalion, 6th Infantry
- 4th Battalion, 18th Infantry (reflagged on 13 September 1972 as the 4th Battalion, 6th Infantry)
- Battery C, 94th Field Artillery
- Company F (later 6th Battalion), 40th Armor
- 42nd Engineer Company
- 42nd AG Unit (Postal)
- 42nd Military Police Group (Customs) (attached elements)
- 287th Military Police Company (Separate)
- 43rd Chemical Detachment
- 76th Chemical Detachment
- 279th Station Hospital (became US Army Hospital Berlin in 1976)
- 168th Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service)
- 592d Signal Company
- 298th Army Band
The 168th and 298th share the distinction of being the longest-serving units in Berlin. They both arrived to the city in a 37-vehicle convoy on 3 July 1945. The commanders of both units were old high school classmates.
The brigade's infantry battalions were reflagged again in 1984 as the 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions, 502nd Infantry Regiment, and Battery C, 94th FA was reflagged as Battery E, 320th Field Artillery.
From 1947 to 1987, soldiers of the brigade were tasked with month-long rotations at Spandau Prison. Along with British, French and Soviet soldiers until the last prisoner, Rudolph Hess died in 1987.
Until the end of the Cold War members of the brigade were eligible for the Army of Occupation Medal with Germany clasp. Because of the legal status of West Berlin, it was technically "occupied" territory left over from World War II.
During the early 1980s, the U.S. Army Regimental System initiative renamed a large percentage of infantry, armor and artillery battalions to align overseas commands with units assigned to stateside brigades, reinforcing the Army's regimental designations and unit morale. The original intent was to initiate personnel replacement and rotations within regiments, a "next step" that did not provide sufficient flexibility to Army personnel managers. The impact on Berlin-based infantry battalions was to reflag the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Battalions, 6th Infantry as the 4th, 5th and 6th Battalions, 502nd Infantry, respectively, during the summer of 1984, assigning Berlin infantry units a shared identification with infantry battalions of 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989 the operational structure of the Brigade was as follows:
- 4th Bn, 502nd Infantry Regiment
- 5th Bn, 502nd Infantry Regiment
- 6th Bn, 502nd Infantry Regiment
- D Company, 40th Armor Regiment
- F Company, 40th Armor Regiment
- C Battery, 94th Field Artillery Regiment
- 42nd Engineer Company
Members of the brigade deployed to Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1990–1991. But the first Berlin Brigade units to take part in an out-of-theater operation were the command-and-staff element of Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC) as well as Company B, 6th Battalion, 502nd Infantry, and the 42nd Engineer Company. These units were later joined by the members of the 42nd AG Unit (Postal). These units served in Operation Provide Comfort, a relief and protection mission for Iraqi Kurds. They served with a multinational "Allied Ground Combat Force" that also included British, French, Italian, Dutch, and Turkish infantry companies. Based in Silopi, Turkey, near the Iraqi border, from July to October 1991, these ground forces were soon withdrawn to avoid entanglement in the local Turkish-PKK conflict and because it was decided that the US Air Force presence at Incirlik constituted an adequate deterrent to Iraqi attempts at encroaching on the Kurdish autonomous zone. Soldiers of this task force were authorized to wear the Berlin Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia as a combat patch on the right shoulder of their uniform, the first and only time elements of the Berlin Brigade were authorized to do so.
Elements of the Berlin Brigade were the first combat units selected to deploy as a member of the United Nations Protectionary Forces (UNPROFOR) to Macedonia in July 1993; later to be renamed Task Force Able Sentry.
Under the treaties which enabled the reunification of Germany, all non-German military forces were required to leave Berlin. The Berlin Brigade was officially inactivated by President Bill Clinton on 6 July 1994. The last unit to leave Berlin was the 42d AG Unit (Postal). The 42nd was a small unit responsible for the mail service for the military assigned to Berlin, the Potsdam unit, and the Helmstedt detachment. It received very little recognition but was vital to the morale of the brigade. Besides postal service, the unit also performed other services, such as courier duty throughout the European theater. The unit was based at Andrews Barracks under Special Troops.