McNair Barracks

McNair Barracks occupies the site of the former AEG Telefunken electronics factory, a Nazi-era complex. During the war, research took place on some of the "miracle" weapons that Hitler hoped would turn the tide of the war. One of the most important products to be developed and produced in the factory was a radar-guided flak control system which could ascertain range and select individual targets.

The Barracks were named after Lieutenant General Leslie J. McNair. After America´s entry into World War II, McNair was put in charge of mobilizing and training U.S. Army ground forces. He was killed while observing front line operations in France in July 1944.

For many years McNair Barracks has been home to the combat battalions of the Berlin Brigade, currently the 5th and 6th Battalions of the 502nd Infantry and the 6th Battalion of the 40th Armor.